5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.
1. What have you noticed about light and darkness in nature? How would explain or describe the difference between the two?
2. Can light exist in the darkness? What happens if you suddenly turn on a light when it is dark? Is it possible to be in the darkness and the light at the same time?
3. If you have two people in complete and absolute darkness, what would that experience be like? How would it be different if those same two people were in a room with light?
4. Do you believe that it is possible for Jesus to take away the darkness that people live in? Is it possible to stay out of the darkness?
5. Is it possible that sin becomes a barrier to the truth of Jesus and creates a shadow that grows over time until we can no longer see the light?
6. What happens if a person was standing in the shade of a tree and kept telling everyone they were actually standing under a light pole? It would be obviously a lie. Do you think people can tell when we are not actually following Jesus?
7. Why do you think it is important to tell the truth and confess our sins? What happens when you expose your secrets to the light?